In this digital age, finding time to write is becoming more and more difficult. Often when I sit down to write, I end up distracted while I scroll endlessly through TikTok or Instagram. On top of that, I have other duties I must attend to. In this busy world, how can writers find time to write, especially if writing isn’t their only job? Here are five tips I think might help.
- Set a time to write every day. My schedule changes every day, so I can’t do this as well as some, but if at all possible, set aside specific times every day to write. That way you know you’ll get to it.
- Write before you do anything. Sometimes I think, “Oh, I can do this really quickly, and then I’ll write.” More often than not, I end up becoming distracted, and if I do ever get around to writing, it’s hours later. As an author, writing is your top priority, and you should treat it as such. Write before you do less important things to be sure you’ll get that most important thing done.
- Write on the go. Almost every day, we all have lulls in our lives. Maybe you’re waiting in line for your food, or standing on the bus, or waiting for a friend or family member. Whatever it is, take that little bit of time to write! Some authors use apps on their phones to write, others use notepads. Either is fine, but if you’re used to one and it’s not working, try switching it up!
- Set goals. Some writers set daily word limit goals, others set daily timed writing goals. Either way, setting goals in a great way to let your brain know it needs to finish before the day is over. Keep in mind that people are creatures of habit, and if you can develop the habit of writing as set forth in the previous tips, you will more easily make your goals.
- Have others hold you accountable. Get involved in a writing group somewhere online. Several of these groups have reminders set up, as well as encouragement for writers every day. If you have a hard time self-motivating, this can help you reach your goals.
These are some easy tips to help you make the most of your time and get that novel cranked out in no time! Remember, with our busy lives, any amount of writing is a good thing. Good luck!
How do you find time to write? Let me know in the comments below!