Do you get distracted when you should be writing? Or do you want to get more done than you are currently able to? Check out these 17 productivity tips for writers!
Work Environment Productivity Tips for Writers
1. Improve your environment—work somewhere that is quiet and keep your work area clean.
2. Keep your work area dedicated to work (use a different room for napping, playing games, or taking a break).
3. Let your family and friends know that even though you work at home, you're still working and should not be disturbed (avoid taking personal calls during your work time).
4. Try unplugging from social media and even the Internet.
5. Don't open your email during your writing time. Instead, focus on writing.
6. Put on some noise-cancelling headphones and try listening to some meditative music without words.
Scheduling Productivity Tips for Writers
7. Figure out what times your brain functions the best and work during those times.
8. Set a schedule for your work, and keep to that schedule.
9. When you only have a few minutes to work on something, don't waste it—get something done that only takes a few minutes: start checking your email, brainstorm some ideas for your next books, etc.
Setting Productivity Goals
10. Prioritize the things you need to get done and work on the most important thing—one thing at a time. Don't get bogged down by a long to-do list.
11. Set clear and achievable writing goals for yourself.
12. Try rewarding yourself for reaching your goals.
13. Consider paring up with another author as accountability partners. You let each other know your writing goals and hold each other responsible for them.
Habits for Productivity
14. Don't multitask—focus on getting one thing done at a time.
15. Don't proofread your work while writing it. Just write, and then proofread the next day.
16. Find an organizational system that works for you to keep track of your research and notes.
17. Take a break. Sometimes all you need to get back into the game is a little down time.
What productivity tips for writers do you use? We'd love to hear any suggestions in the comments below. If you'd like to learn more about Book Cave author promotions, please enter your email below and click the "Learn More" button.
Do you have a blog idea or topic you know our readers or authors would love? Contact email@example.com to learn how you could get your blog featured.