NOOKs, in addition to being compatible with ebooks from Barnes & Noble, can also download ebooks from Amazon, Google Play, Smashwords, and Kobo. Let's dive into the nitty gritty details of downloading from each additional source below.
Amazon to NOOK
Currently, only NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ can be used to read ebooks from Amazon. This is because these are the only NOOKs that Barnes & Noble has given access to the Play Store. Through the Play Store, you can search for the Amazon Kindle app and use it to read books from Amazon. Easy enough, right?
Google Play to NOOK
This process gets trickier because you need to transfer ebook files from your computer to your NOOK.
- Download Adobe Digital Editions onto your computer.
- The "eBook Vendor" dropdown has many options, including Google, but you want to leave it at "Adobe ID." (See illustration below.)
- Note: If the book is DRM protected, you'll be asked to authorize your computer and sign in. (If you don't have an Adobe ID, you can create one for free.)
- After buying the ebook you want to put on your NOOK, go to My Books on Google Play and download EPUB file of the book.
- Connect the NOOK to your computer with a USB cable. It'll show up under Devices in Adobe Digital Editions.
- Authorize your device by right-clicking on it and selecting "Authorize Device."
- Drag the book from where it was downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions to the NOOK.
Note: This method does not work in reverse for Kindle because Kindle only supports MOBI files, and Google Play Books usually uses EPUB files.
Kobo to NOOK
This process is pretty much the same as the one for Google Play above, so we're going to summarize it this time.
Download Adobe Digital Editions onto your computer, follow the prompts to sign in and authorize your computer. Plug in your NOOK, just like you would do for books from Google Play, authorize the NOOK, and drag the downloaded EPUB file to the NOOK. It gets easier every time, doesn't it?
Smashwords to NOOK
You'll recognize a lot of these steps from before, but you don't have to use Adobe Digital Editions for ebooks from Smashwords because they aren't protected with an encryption.
- On your computer, navigate to Smashwords.com and download the EPUB file of your desired ebook.
- Connect your NOOK to your computer, where it will appear just like a flash drive would appear.
- Drag the EPUB file over to the "documents" folder of your NOOK,
- Disconnect your NOOK and enjoy!
Now you know your options for downloading ebooks if you own a NOOK ereader. To learn how to download ebooks on other types of devices, check out our full blog: Everything You Need to Know About How to Download eBooks on Any Device.